Gyi & Kelly are thrilled to chat with a veteran lawyer this week who went from corporate lawyer to solo practitioner 25 years into his career. 10 years later, he has a thriving practice and loves his job. Tom built a worldwide practice from his home office, from 0 clients to a thriving solo practice.
Thomas R. Fox-the Compliance Evangelist
Tom is the author 16 books on business leadership, compliance and ethics and corporate governance, including the international best-sellers “Lessons Learned on Compliance and Ethics” and “Best Practices Under the FCPA and Bribery Act” as well as his series Fox on Compliance. His latest book “The Compliance Handbook” was published in May 2018 and was the No. 1 new bestseller on Amazon.com through its initial run. He writes and speaks across the globe on compliance programs.
Tom leads the social media discussion on compliance with his award-winning blog, The FCPA Compliance and Ethics Blog and is the founder of the Compliance Podcast Network. Find Tom on LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Tom’s policy: Give away your ‘secret sauce’, because it will create more trust than lose you money. It is a knowledge-based economy and an individual’s personal take on a topic will be valuable because it’s from their perspective, not necessarily because it’s new information.
- Twitter: Retweet your community to become a niche influencer. Set alerts on specific topics that relate to your clients and practice area.
- Blog: Create, create, create! Get on a realistic content creation schedule and stick to it, rain or shine.
- Podcast: Turn your posts or ideas into an audio braodcast or just record your voice if oyu prefer that to writing.
- Webinars: Content can get recirculated and repurposed into multiple forms of content (blog post, podcast episode, shorten video into clips)
- Social Media: Tom’s daughter set up his business Facebook page!
Francine McKenna‘s advice: Focus on a niche and stick with it for 6-12 months.
Malcolm Gladwell’s book, Outliers and the 10,000 Hour Theory.
Each week, we send a marketing tips email- one per week with great content and advice. Join Our Email List!